Part P Electrician Stockport

Electrical Installations Requiring Part-P Compliance In Stockport

Part P electrical compliance refers to any and all fixed electrical installations relating to a dwelling. Such electrical work must be completed by ‘a competent person’ and that generally means the services of a Part P electrician are required.

By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all new electrical installation work in domestic properties meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence. Furthermore, local authorities can make homeowners and landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations covered by Part P.

Local authorities require proof of Part P compliance in the form of 2 certificates: an Electrical Installation Certificate (or Minor Work Certificate) and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

What Is Part P?

Part P is a specific section of the Building Regulations. Part P of the Building Regulations applies to fixed electrical installations in dwellings (this includes gardens  / outbuildings / sheds, shared amenities in blocks of flats and any building that shares its electricity supply with a dwelling).

Part P of the Building Regulations states that any electrical installations must be carried out by a competent person. This is in line with the high level of expertise and competency expected from gas installers. Electrical competency goes far beyond just knowing which colour wires do what.

Who Or What Is A Part P Competent Person?

Competency, in this case, will mean a full, qualified knowledge of electrical installations. It mean someone with the ability to thoroughly check a circuit for safety and able to issue a minor works certificate as a self certified “competent person”.

Electricity kills and injures many people every year. A great many of these people are dead or injured because they tried installations which they did not understand. The Government is also intending, it is believed, to introduce a scheme whereby domestic installations are checked at regular periods to make sure they comply, and also when a house is sold or purchased.

This would mean of course that if you had an installation which was not correctly certified, your house insurance may not be valid.

Competent Person for Part P Electrical Work

The definition of competency is not simply someone with an understanding of how electricity works. It is very specific and includes the ability to test an electrical circuit thoroughly for faults both before, and after installation and the further ability to log these readings and report them to the appropriate electrical authority.

A competent person is a person or firm that has been approved by a Government approved Part P scheme. The image shown here is a screenshot from an article on the Health and Safety Executive website. Click this link to see the original article the screenshot is taken from.

What Is A Part P Electrician?

A Part P electrician is a ‘competent person’ in line with the definition given above. N.I.C. Electrics is a Part P electrician able to perform and self-certify any and all domestic electrical work in or around a dwelling as being compliant with the Building Regulations Act, be that a home or a garden.

When the works are complete a Part P electrician will give you a certificate that shows that the work has conformed to BS 7671. This certificate is known as Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Work Certificate. You will also give you a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate which confirms that the work meets with the building regulations.

Request A Quote From A Qualified Part P Electrician

As a Part P electrician, N.I.C. Electrics in Stockport can safely install any and all electrical work in or around your home. We look forward to receiving your enquiry and being of service. Any enquiries after the point of installation are welcome and we will always be glad to help you. Give us a call on 01625 541794 or 07782 140782, or send us a message through our enquiry form.

Call Now